Rethinking the Chapter Awards Dinner
by Joe Danbusky, NISOA local assessor and NISOA local clinician. Joe is also the Chapter's Secretary and Treasurer.
For those of you who regularly attend the annual Awards dinner held at the end of each collegiate season, you may have noticed over the past few years that:
- Many of our fellow officials fail to make the dinner,
- Officials who receive chapter recognition are not present to acknowledge the honor bestowed upon them by their peers,
- Honored guests are conspicuously absent.
Are we at a turning point in our efforts? Should we make a big deal of awards?
As a member of the Board and the chapter Treasurer, I have the distinct responsibility of seeing and paying the invoices that are generated by having the Awards dinner and recognizing achievements through presentation of commemorative plaques.
We usually honor sportsmanship in three categories:
- Four year men’s programs,
- Four year women’s programs,
- Junior college — combined men’s and women’s programs (Region XV).
We recognize our fellow officials in several categories:
- New official of the year,
- Assistant referee of the year,
- Official of the year,
- Chapter service award.
Has the time come for all this “tradition” to be done away with?
- Attendance at the annual dinner has been declining. Last year, we didn’t make the guaranteed number that we committed to with the caterer. That translates into meals that were prepared, not consumed and paid for!
- In addition, some of our invited guests, having acknowledged that they were to be honored at this event, chose to not appear (even though they had previously accepted our invitation).
- Things didn’t look any better on the chapter recognition side either: honorees over the past two years were conspicuously absent to accept the accolades of their fellow officials.
So what’s going on?
I realize we live in the era of $3+ gasoline and a roller coaster economy, but I STILL enjoy the camaraderie of my fellow officials, a few “war stories”, a good meal and some beverage…
What shall we do in the future?
Let your thoughts be known….
This entry was posted on Monday, January 28th, 2008 at 9:35 am and is filed under Executive Board with keyword(s) membership. You can follow any comments to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.